How to Make your Own Sanitizer
In case you are having trouble finding a sanitizer at your local medical store or general store, you can always make your own with the method we have shown.
By now, we are all aware of the basic precautions one has to take, to keep novel coronavirus from spreading. The most important being:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing and sneezing.
- In the case of soap and water not readily available, use a sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Lastly, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose with your hands.
These three measures are the new mantras that have been doing rounds globally and we see every expert and doctor preaching them. And now, for us, it has become a daily ritual, for we want to keep a safe distance from the deadly virus affecting us. However, the spread of novel coronavirus globally has led to people taking extreme measures such as stocking up on hygiene, cleaning, and medical products, among others. These measures have not only led to a shortage of products but also an increase in prices. So far, there has been a shortage of face masks, but one other product that is also reaching a deficit is the hand sanitizers. Yes, that does put us in a vulnerable situation and make us think about what we are going to do if soap and water are not readily available during times of travel or in other dire situations.
However, we do have a solution for that and it’s quite simple – you can make your own sanitizer! Yes, that’s right, here in this post, we will be guiding you on how you can make a sanitizer all by yourself with products you probably already have at home.
What you should know first
In situations, where washing your hands is not possible, sanitizers can prove to be useful in eliminating dangerous microorganisms. After hand wash, sanitizers are considered the most effective defense against viruses. Experts suggest that hand sanitizers should be applied generously. First, apply it to one palm before rubbing your hands together. While rubbing, you must make sure to spread it evenly all over your hands and fingers, covering all surfaces until completely dry. The process should take about 20 seconds. Additionally, if you are planning to make your own hand sanitizer, remember that the ingredients mentioned below must be measured precisely for the product to work. However, experts also suggest that the product should only be used when you’re on the go and don’t have access to soap and water. So, let’s get started on how you can make your very own sanitizer in the next section.
How to make sanitizer at home
The below method closely emulates the commercial sanitizers without chemicals. Experts broke down the list of ingredients that you need to make your own hand sanitizer.
- 2/3 cup – 99% Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol
- 1/3 cup – 100% aloe vera gel (pure)
- 8 to 10 drops – Essential Oil (optional)
- An empty hand sanitizer bottle or any other bottle
- Spoon and bowl
- Gloves to prevent contamination of the mixture (optional)
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients after measuring out the quantity required to prepare the mixture. (Note: If you are using essential oils, add one drop at a time, stirring as you go).
- Next, take the container in which you will be adding the prepared mixture. It is advised that you clean the container thoroughly and wipe it dry before pouring the mixture into it. Ensure that the container has an air-tight cap.
- Using a funnel, carefully pour the mixture into the container and screw the cap tight. A small squirt bottle works well if you want to carry the sanitizer to places. Also, in case there is excess, you can save the leftover sanitizer in a jar with a tightly fitted lid.
Note: If you want your sanitizer to have a thicker consistency, we advise you to add a spoonful of aloe vera gel. And, if you want the mixture to be of a thinner consistency, then 1-2 spoons of alcohol can be added.
How effective are sanitizers?
According to the CDC, an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60%-95% alcohol can help prevent infections, sickness, and spreading germs to others. The alcohol content in the sanitizer helps reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations. It can also help kill a wide range of disease-causing agents or pathogens on your hands including novel coronavirus. However, it should be noted that even the best alcohol-based sanitizers have limitations and do not kill all types of germs such as norovirus, cryptosporidium, and clostridium difficile.
Hand sanitizers are a convenient easy-to-use solution that helps in preventing the spread of germs when the traditional soap and water are unavailable. Alcohol-based sanitizers can help keep one safe and reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus. In case you are having trouble finding a sanitizer at your local medical store or a general store, you can always make your own with the method we have shown above and with the kind of fragrance, you prefer. All you need is a few ingredients and some essential oils. However, you also have to keep in mind that hand sanitizers are not always effective in getting rid of all types of germs. Hence, experts and several doctors recommend washing hands whenever possible and only resort to hand sanitizers when you either traveling or on the move.