Why resolutions fail and how you can make them #NOFAIL
Six months into 2016, where are you on your New Year resolutions? Revisit your vows and pledge to get fit in the next six months
You started out the New Year, full of promise and hope. 2016 was going to be your year, the one in which you made a difference to your health and fitness by getting to your ideal weight and staying there. Cut to six months later. The resolutions have failed and so – it seems but you’re not alone. Why resolutions fail? let’s find out.
Research conducted in the UK at the end of 2015 showed that of the thousands of people who made health-specific resolutions, 43 percent didn’t last a month, 66 percent lasted a month or less, 80 percent lasted less than 3 months and 86 percent couldn’t keep up after a year. Why does this happen? Experts believe it’s because:
Your expectations were not realistic
If you think “I will lose 2 kilos a week” or “I will gym every day”, you’re taking on too much. It’s sure to exhaust and dishearten you, making you more likely to give up.
You did not define your resolutions
Vague resolutions such as “I will get fitter” or “I will lose weight” are no use. All resolutions, experts believe need to be SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound – to succeed.
You weren’t in the right frame of mind
If you’re not able to focus on fulfilling your resolution, most likely than not you won’t! Sticking to a resolution is hard work and you need to be prepared for obstacles and setbacks.
You aren’t able to prioritise your goals
If you’ve got too much on your to-do list, chances are that by the time you get to the fitness resolution, you will forget all about your intentions.
You’re distracted all the time
Modern life is a flurry of distractions – texts, videos, calls, work pressures and deadlines. These stress you out and can keep you from making progress.
Now that you know why you are failing, how can you ensure that your resolutions are # NOFAIL?
Go step by step
Taking small steps is more likely to ensure success rather than aiming for extremely ambitious plans. Break things down into small and achievable goals.
Find someone who’s in the same boat
It could be a friend or a spouse, but having a fitness buddy – one who wants to get fitter or lose weight – could propel you towards your goal faster. Two minds are stronger than one!
Always have a Plan B
Chances are that you won’t like picking up your gym bag and going for a session every other day, so think ahead by signing up for a group exercise that motivates you more. Keep healthy foods in your fridge and pantry to facilitate healthy eating.
Cut yourself some slack
The 80-20 rule that’s popular the world over applies here too. If you’re able to meet your exercise and diet rules 80 percent of the time, don’t lose sleep over the other 20 percent.
Make time for yoga
The fast pace of today’s world necessitates some slow time out for yourself in the form of yoga. Apart from making you healthier physically, regular yoga keeps you mentally fit. Be it a virtual class or a group session, sign up now!
Celebrate small victories
Sure you can splurge on a brand new wardrobe once you hit your ideal weight but there’s no reason not to reward yourself on and off for the smaller victories – not skipping exercise for 20 days, eating healthy for 15 days, losing an inch off your waist! You’ll be motivated to do more.
The time to make sure that your New Year resolve doesn’t hit the dust is now. Let’s make it a #NOFAIL resolution!