Healthy Recipes For A Lighter And Brighter Christmas
Hence to make your Christmas healthy, HealthifyMe has compiled a list of your favourite Healthy Christmas Recipes in this article.
It’s Christmas time, a season for cheer, joy, spreading one’s warmth and light, and of course, aiming to be as close to our health goals as possible, but not forgetting the fun!
Yes, it is one of our favourite holidays! We enjoy large meals, plenty of sides, and DESSERT! (There’s nothing like Christmas cakes and dessert!!)
We generally enjoy traditional Christmas meals, but we love that so many of you desire a healthy Christmas!
Hence to make your Christmas healthy, HealthifyMe has compiled a list of your favourite Healthy Christmas Recipes, with easy-to-find ingredients coming together in a simple step-wise method.
A few key recipes for this jolly Christmas, you will find below:-
1. Christmas chunky Chicken sandwich
Enjoy this speedy, easy-to-make chunky sandwich for Christmas morning breakfast; layered with last night’s yummy leftovers:-
- 2 slices of thick baguette bread
- 4-5 grilled chicken strips
- 2-3 slices of Cucumber
- Tomato (2-3 slices)
- 2-3 leaves of lettuce
- 1-2 Tbsp of Avocado spread
- 1 pinch of cracked pepper for seasoning
- Step 1: Spread Avocado on both slices of the baguette and start the layering process of the sandwich.
- Step 2: Layer first with Lettuce, then add the grilled chicken strips, slices of cucumber, and tomato, finish up with a dash of freshly ground pepper!
- Step 3: Sit back, relax and enjoy that sandwich followed by a cup of herbal tea.
2. Christmas Breakfast Casserole
While opening gifts, enjoy this Mediterranean-inspired Christmas morning stew. Breakfast casseroles are ideal for feeding a large group, and you can speed up the preparation by cutting the bread into pieces the night before.
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach
- 1 large chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cups of low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 oz. rustic whole-wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
Step 1: Squeeze the spinach in a clean kitchen towel over the sink to drain as much moisture as possible. In a medium mixing dish, combine the strained spinach and chopped carrots.
Step 2: In a small skillet over low heat, add a drizzle of oil and lightly saute the tomatoes, garlic, and crushed red pepper with a sprinkle of lemon zest. When the garlic becomes golden brown, add the spinach and carrot mixture, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 3: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 4: Mix the milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Combine the spinach-carrot mix, feta, and bread in a mixing bowl. Gently toss the bread until it absorbs the milk mixture. Fill a 13-by-9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish halfway with the mixture. Allow standing at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
Step 5: Bake for 35 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Allow for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Approximately 1 cup
277 calories; 14.4g protein; 30.5g carbs; 4.8g dietary fibre; sugars 6.3g fat 9.9g; saturated fat 4.5g; cholesterol 136mg; vitamin A 4746.9IU; vitamin C 4.8mg; folate 126.7mcg; calcium 258.3mg; iron 1.8mg; magnesium 61.8mg; potassium 542.2mg; sodium 498.4mg; thiamin 0.1mg.
3. Frozen Date Chocolate
This is such an easy-to-make dessert, yet so nutritious, it will add a lot of cheer and joy during your Christmas celebrations:-
- 10-15 de-seeded dates (the number depends on your guest list, each one will have either 2-3)
- Melted chocolate (can melt in a hot water bain)
- Step:1 Take each date and roll it in the melted chocolate
- Step: 2 Place the rolled chocolate date on the tray and keep lining up the tray till all dates are over
- Step: 3 Place the tray in the deep freeze
- Step: 4 Remove in a couple of hours and Enjoy!
4. Chocolate coconut Chrissie cake
This cake is flavoursome and delicious for a Christmas family meal. This easy-to-bake
cake has yummy almond milk, pecans, and toasted coconut as garnish!
- Baking spray
- 1 package (15.87 ounces) of chocolate cake mix.
- 1 cup lightly stirred almond milk.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup coconut flakes(Toast some flakes for end garnishing)
Step 1: Set the oven to 350°F. Spray baking spray in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. In a big bowl, combine cake mix, almond milk, olive oil, and eggs. Stir in 1/2 cup of coconut and pecans until thoroughly blended. Put the batter in the baking pan that has been prepared. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut equally.
Step 2: Bake for 23 to 26 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow two hours for the pan to cool entirely on a wire rack. If preferred, top with toasted coconut and slice into squares.
1/2 kg (500g) (Serves 3-5 pax)
Nutritional Profile: (For every 100g)
160 calories; fat 26.96g; carbohydrates 4.78g; dietary fiber 1.6g; protein 5.56g; sugars 3.48g.
Christmas is a season of immense joy and excitement that we share with our loved ones. Thus, use the aforementioned simple and healthy recipes to spread your joy and love.